Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Gelato-trification

How can you tell if a neighbourhood is in full gentrification mode? When a gelato store opens up!

Stella Luna recently (well, in May) opened up in Hintonburg. It's well known locally from another location in Ottawa and every time we walk by there is a line up to the door.

They've hit all the right notes with the decor: high ceilings; glass pendants; old-fashioned-sensibilities-meets-modern-chic vibe. I like the mini side courtyard too.

Y'know that random wierdo taking a photo of empty chairs? sigh. That's me.
While I can't say I was initially too impressed with the prices the first time I went - $17 for three "small" ice cream cones -  I suppose the "small" cones were actually quite large (two scoops!) and they were yummy...so I'll call it a wash.

This time though I just stopped in to pick up a gift certificate. It was off hours and the ambiance was more relaxed. Note to self: only eat in on off-peak times. 

There still are a few vacancies on Wellington Street (the main drag running through Hintonburg) so as much as gentrification can be a mixed blessing, I hope Stella Luna does well. On the one hand, I don't want these BOBO* stores to push out the shops providing local essentials, like Giant Tiger. On the other hand, having vacant stores doesn't help anyone.


* bohemian bourgeois

1 comment:

  1. I think we'll be paying this spot a visit when we arrive, sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete